I can’t tell you how many requests I have had for bran muffins in the past few months so since I’m kind of obsessed with bananas, I thought sharing a recipe for Banana Nut Bran Muffins would be a no-brainer!
I know I’ve said this many times before, but I am ALL about grab-and-go breakfast ideas since I will literally relish any extra minute I can get the chance to sleep in during the mornings, however taking the time to make a healthy breakfast is super important too. You guys the struggle is real. So to solve this issue, I like to make a big batch of muffins on Sundays for my husband and I for the entire week and this recipe turned out super delicious! They are also husband approved which is a big thumbs up. #wifegoals
I also really love using mashed bananas when baking (you know like my favorite banana breakfast muffins) because not only do they add a hint of sweetness without adding any refined sugars, bu they are also the perfect substitute in place of butter or oil as a binding agent to hold the muffins together. I did also add a little honey along with some cinnamon and nutmeg because the flavors were just so warm and cozy, but you could always use brown sugar or a little even maple syrup. Back to bananas though – they are really just so universal and I must say are a much healthier fat than oil or butter, not to mention delicious!
If you’ve never made bran muffins before then it’s important that I note how crucial the first step is which is soaking the wheat bran in the milk of your choice (we always have almond milk in our fridge so that’s what I used). This ensures super soft, moist muffins rather than dry ones because yeah no one likes a dry muffin – so make sure you don’t skip this step and just end up mixing the wheat bran in with the rest of the flours. You’ll end up sad with dry muffins and I’ll end up with a nasty comment on how they didn’t turn out. Let’s just all be happy and soak that bran, k!
Hope you all enjoy these muffins! On a side note, is anyone else as excited for Game of Thrones this weekend as I am? Yes I may be a total nerd, but eeeek I can’t wait for Sunday!
Banana Nut Bran Muffins Print Serves: 12 Muffins Ingredients
- 1½ cups wheat bran
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of your choice)
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 1½ tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tbsp chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine wheat bran and milk and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile in a separate bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, egg, coconut oil, vanilla, and honey and set aside.
- In another bowl combine whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- When the bran mixture is ready, stir it into the banana mixture then add in the flour mixture until just combined. Next fold in the chopped walnuts, if desired.
- Divide batter into 12 prepared muffin cups and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow muffins to cool for about 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack. Enjoy!
Nutritional Information Serving Size: 1 muffin • Calories: 120 • Fat: 2.1 g • Saturated Fat: 1.1 g • Carbs: 23.1 g • Fiber: 4.8 g • Protein: 3.1 g • Sugars: 8.2 g • WW Points+: 3 • Smart Points: 5 3.5.3208