Ohh zucchini bread. Why must I have such a love affair with you?
Seriously making this bread might be one of my favorite things in this world, next to my zucchini noodle addiction of course. Baking with zucchini really is the perfect way to get fresh GREEN veggies into your diet while still enjoying your favorite foods! I mean your kids (er hubby) won’t even notice you’ve added them because zucchini has absolutely no flavor when mixed in with bread and chances are they’re going to ask for seconds. For those of you who have never used zucchini before in your baking, one of the things I love the most is that shredded zucchini really makes your bread (or cake) super moist!! Just make sure to really soak up any excess water first so you don’t end up with soggy bread later on. Trust me, don’t skip this part. Soggy bread = NO bueno.
The way I prefer to remove any extra water is by placing the grated zucchini in a dish cloth or thick paper towel and squeezing until all the water drains out and gets soaked up. Then your zucchini is ready to be mixed into your batter!
And no this certainly isn’t the first time I’ve made baked goods with zucchini. Anyone remember my chocolate zucchini cupcakes (with avocado frosting mmm) or these zucchini cupcakes with Greek yogurt frosting? Oh and you can’t forget these adorable mini loaves of lemon-poppyseed zucchini bread OR my faaaavorite protein breakfast muffins that I had to stop making because I was literally running out of protein powder since I made them so much.
Yeah I might have a problem.
This recipe also freezes really well and can be doubled (or tripled!) to make multiple loaves because why not?? I also really like turning this recipe into muffins which I can easily grab on my way to work in the mornings or even little mini loaves which are great for portion control. I always end up just freezing the rest to enjoy later on. Just make sure to decrease the baking time by about 10 minutes or so if you choose to go this route.
And on a side note, can we talk about how seriously gorgeous this weather has been! I may or may not have gone a little crazy this weekend and filled my house with TONS of fresh blooms because I can finally open my windows and enjoy SPRING. Hello maxi dresses and flip flops, I’ve really missed you.
Healthy Zucchini Bread Print Serves: 12 Servings Ingredients
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ½ cup honey
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1½ cups grated zucchini, water squeezed out
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 8″ x 4″ loaf pan with oil or parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt until combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together egg, yogurt, coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla then add grated zucchini. Fold in flour mixture until all combined and pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 min to an hour or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Remove bread from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!
Nutritional Information Serving Size: 1 slice • Calories: 161 • Fat: 5 g • Saturated Fat: 4 g • Carbs: 26.2 g • Fiber: 1.3 g • Protein: 3.7 g • Sugars: 14.8 g • WW Points+: 4 • Smart Points: 7 3.5.3208