Oh hey guys, remember me?? Yeah I used to blog and make recipes and take lots of pretty pictures…you know, on a day-to-day basis. Well with weddings, vacations, and just LIFE simply taking over, my blog has had to take the back burner for a bit, BUT as I’ve mentioned before, I’m about to launch my NEW (and very much improved) blog really, really soon. As in like any day now! It’s a little makeover I’ve been working on for months so I’m completely excited to share the finish product with you soon.
Oh and lets not forget to state the obvious, summer is quickly approaching! Time for pool parties, cookouts, country concerts and impromptu beach trips so what better way to kick off this fabulous season than with my absolute favorite summer recipe?! These were such a huge hit last year that I just had to post these again – gotta love a good throwback.
Nothing is more refreshing to me on a hot summer’s day than fresh cut watermelon, especially at cookouts. It’s healthy, delicious and ridiculously low in calories, so why not freeze it up and put it on a stick?? I didn’t use any fancy expensive popsicle makers either, just paper cups, wooden sticks and went to town. Your kids will absolutely love making these and you’ll love eating them!
I used lime sherbet for the rind of the watermelon and mini chocolate chips for the “seeds”. This will probably be the easiest thing you’ll make all summer and for only 2 points per pop, go ahead and indulge! This is the perfect snack to have ready in your freezer to grab when you want something sweet, but don’t want to kill yourself with calories. Oh and feel free to go crazy and add a shot or two of vodka to make these pops really fun, I’m sure your friends will thank you.
No I won’t judge. I may or may not have already tried this myself.
Thanks again for being so patient friends. I promise this blog will be back up in no time and I truly appreciate all the sweet e-mails asking when I’ll be posting recipes again! The answer is expect all new recipes (along with a whole new look) this June. In the meantime I’ll try sharing more of my Tone It Up journey, which you can of course follow on my Instagram account, and some of my quick, go to recipes that I throw together during the week that make eating healthy easy.
So for now, hope you enjoy these delicious and utterly adorable ice pops and have fun kicking off the summer in style!
Watermelon Ice Pops Print Serves: 12 servings Ingredients
- 5 cups seedless watermelon pulp
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 pint lime sherbet, softened
- Puree watermelon and sugar in batches in your blender or food processor until smooth and strain into a medium bowl. Cover and freeze until puree is slightly slushy, but not quite solid, about 2 to 3 hours. Remove from freezer, stir well and add in chocolate chips.
- Place twelve 5-ounce disposable cups in a shallow baking pan and spoon watermelon puree into cups, leaving about a ½ inch left from the rim. Place pan in freezer for 2 hours, or until puree is solid, but not rock hard.
- Allow lime sherbet to soften a bit, then spread over top of each portion of watermelon puree so that it comes up to the edge of the cup. Smooth sherbet with the back of a spoon and cover each cup with plastic wrap. Cut a small slit in the center of each cup and insert a popsicle stick into each pop so that it almost reaches the bottom of the cups. Freeze overnight (or until solid) and can be frozen for up to two days.
- Allow pops to sit at room temperature for about a minute, then gently pull out from the cups. Serve and enjoy!
Nutritional Information Serving Size: 1 ice pop • Calories: 78 • Fat: 1.4 g • Carbs: 16.5 g • Fiber: 0.3 g • Protein: 0.5 g • WW Points+: 2 pts 3.5.3208